Since the last dev update I have taken a pretty big pass on how the crafting system works. I can now assign items to different categories that require you to be near certain blocks to craft them. For example, if you want to smelt copper ore into copper bricks you will need to stand near a forge.
I also took a pass on spawn points and how the engine caches blocks client side. This allows you to teleport or respawn wherever you want to in a map easier.
The current change list for the week is:
- Added beds to mark your spawn point
- Added ruby slippers to take you home
- Completed an initial pass at the liquid system
- Added a mummy enemy that spawns in the desert
- Added a forge to smelt ore
- Changed the crafting system to require you to be near certain blocks such as a forge or anvil
- Enabled position based sound effects
- Added a growth system to grow long grass or bushes
- Fixed a bug with not being able to remove the lighting effect after you destroy a torch
- Changed the scaling of the character compared to the terrain
- Added variable speed weapons
- Added a gold sword
- Added cloth scrap drops from mummies
- Added leather scrap drops from orcs
- Added a pause and a roar animation for the orc king
- Added an anvil placeable
- Added an item to avoid fall damage
- Added an item to increase jump height
- Added fall damage
- Multiple other bug fixes
Along with all of those changes I have been working on a simple water flow system which you can see in the screenshot below. Right now I am representing it with full blocks on the client but behind the scene the water level is represented by a number between 1-255. Eventually I will use that number as well as the surrounds to generate a mesh instead of individual blocks.There is still a lot of work to do but it is coming along.